Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Little Late, but Worth the Wait

I forgot to post my recipe on Food for Thought Friday, but I came across a most delicious recipe today. We had some friends come over who once a month we are going to get together with to make a "food storage meal" together to share recipes and ideas with. Anyway, today we made homemade wheat tortillas, I won't post that recipe yet because it still needs some tweaking, but we made burritos with black beans and sweet rice. The sweet rice was absolutely delicious and I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat any other kind of rice again, so here's is the fabulous recipe:

Sweet Rice

1/2 - 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (just sort of eyeball how much you need for the rice to make it all a little shiny when your frying it)

1 1/3 cups of white rice

3 cups chicken broth (I rarely have that on hand, but I always have bouillon or granules around, so I always mix my own broth. The only thing I would do different is maybe add about 1/2 cup more water/broth)

1/3 cup white sugar (this is more or less depending on how sweet you want the rice)

1. Combine the chicken broth and sugar, making sure the sugar dissolves completely.
2. Put a little oil in the bottom of a skillet and add the rice. Cook until it is light brown, but don't burn it.
3. Stir in the broth/sugar mixture with the rice and bring to a boil. (Be careful when doing this, it's kind of like rice-a-roni and when that first liquid hits the skillet, it really sizzles)
4. Bring to a boil and then cover and cook on low or med-low until the rice is done, usually about 25-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

You can also add onion and fresh cilantro, but I'm not a huge fan of either, you just fry them in the oil just before adding the rice. It makes quite a bit of rice, I think we made at least 8 burritos and still had at least a cup leftover. It's really yummy in a burrito or would make a great side-dish, hope you enjoy! And the best part is that it uses only pantry items, something I will definitely be making sure I always have in a pinch for a last minute dish. :) Enjoy.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love all your recipe ideas. BTW, I got your message the other day and spaced calling you back. Charlie takes his nap in the afternoon and so (naturally) I do to. :) Thanks for not givin up on me. (I'm not avoiding you.) Keep the food ideas coming!!