Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gee it's Good to be Back Home Again

So, there has been non-stop snow since we got back-which I love-but it has made it a little less inviting to go out and do things, mostly because I'm not a very experienced driver in the snow and I get nervous, even more so with two kids in the car with me.

Today however, I had to go to the grocery store to get some more Drano among other things. Both of the renters that were previously here had dogs, so we're assuming that the tubs are clogged full of dog hair, anyway, that's beside the point. The boy's bathtub wouldn't drain last night, so it sat full of water all night and it was now or never.

I packed up the kids and went on our way, luckily my wonderful husband had shoveled and salted the driveway so I could at least get out of our garage without sliding into the building next to us. I made it through the 4 inch high snow covering the roads in our neighborhood and safely arrived and the wonderful Walmart (I actually dread going to Walmart here, but I just remind myself that at least I'm in a Utah Walmart and not somewhere halfway across the country, like, oh, say, Oklahoma:)

I guess I should get to the point of my post, which is I realized today that if you are looking for goodness and kindness in people, you will undoubtedly find it, and when you are looking for snobbery or unkindness you'll find that too. Ever since we got back from Oklahoma we have tried to take on an unassuming and kind attitude and look for ways to help people and be friendly and outgoing. Well, today as I finally slid into the parking stall, Logan and Damon were both asleep, normally it wouldn't be a problem except the nearest cart was inside Walmart and it was snowing. I pulled Logan's hood on and covered the baby with a blanket. I finally get everything situated and I awkwardly head inside carrying Damon in the baby carrier and a sleepy Logan on my hip.

Out of nowhere some guy and his wife come up and ask if I need a cart or help or anything, and proceeds to carry Damon in the carseat all the way inside and helps me get him loaded in the cart. This act of simple kindness really took me back and made me realize how easy it really can be to make someone's day. I tried to keep this mental note while shopping and singing to Logan (yes, it's really funny to watch me shop, I sing about our grocery list to Logan to keep him entertained) and in the checkout lane I had some really good friendly chit chat with the checker, the lady behind us, and the couple in front of us. Wow, what an awesome trip to Walmart.

So, as much as we say that there are just great people in Oklahoma, which there really are and we will miss them, there are some gems here in Utah too, you just have to look out for them, and I've found the best way is to try and be one of them. Well, I guess that's all for my mid-week insight. I just had to make note of this event while the babies were sleeping. :)

1 comment:

heidijogoody said...

I always love the feeling I get when I help someone out that I can tell might need it but nothing feels better when you are in desperate need of help and some unknown person reaches out and helps you. that is just awesome!