Friday, January 23, 2009

Food for Thought Friday

Well, it's still January and I'm still experimenting with wheat, so of course I'll post another wonderful wheat recipe. :)

Whole Wheat Refrigerator Rolls (thank you allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
2 (.25 oz) packages of active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups whole wheat flour

*I actually used reversed the ratios of wheat and white flour and only used 2 cups all-purpose and the rest wheat and they still turned out great.

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 minutes. Blend in sugar, salt and 3 cups flour at a low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Beat in egg and oil. by hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smoot and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled or cover and refrigerate overnight. Punch down dough and form into dinner-size rolls. Place on greased baking sheets for plain rolls or knots, or in greased muffin tins for cloverleaf rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour for dough prepared the same day or 1-2 hours for refrigerated dough. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes of until ight golden brown. Serve warm. Dough can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days, just punch down daily.

**Here's the best part and what I actually did. After the part where you knead the dough for 6-8 minutes, form it into about 72 equal sized balls (We like the cloverleaf rolls the best) and put them on a greased cookie sheet and freeze them. Then you can put them in a freezer-safe baggie and when you want some rolls take them out and put 3 frozen balls in each greased muffin cup and give them about 3-4 hours at least to rise, then bake. It's basically like having your own Rhodes rolls right in the freezer waiting for you, except you made them! It's awesome.

2 comments:

Mike and Quel said...

Geesh! I was way behind on your blog. I've been super busy. But I'm all caught up now. So, I'll let you know but I've been thinking today of going to Utah for another visit on Thurs. There is something I'd like to make it to, but I was thinking if I do go out, I'll come by and visit for a bit. I'll give ya a call sometime the beginning of this week and let you know how things work out. I think it would be fun:)

Ashley said...

So I don't have any home ground wheat but I did have half a bag or more of whole wheat flour…. I’ve been in the mood for bread a lot these days so Addie and I and Thomas made your rolls for dinner to go along with some creamy chicken and rice soup. I have some great pic’s of the kids helping out and sneaking bites of the dough. I thought I might of measured to much flour out because it just felt really dry, but I’ve never made any bread by hand before, it’s always been at lasted kneaded in the bread machine….any how, I added a little more Water to help mix in the rest of the flour. We made some clover rolls fresh that night and rolled up the rest of the dough for the freezer. Any how, I was thinking maybe I didn’t make the balls big enough, they did rise, just not as big as I had though they should….then we baked them and brushed them with butter when they were done…They were delish, even though I made them a little small ;) Cody LOVED them, he ate 6 of them…..hehehe. any how, They are going to come in handy when I have this baby (tonight I hope) and I will defiantly try making them again because they are yummy…I just need more practice! Thanks Annie, We miss you guys!!!!!