Friday, January 9, 2009

Food for Thought Friday

Banana Oatmeal Cookies III

So, I stumbled upon this recipe from allrecipes.com, but I made a few changes. One of our goals this year is to get our food storage in order and with that comes learning how to use food storage, especially wheat...at least for me. Anyway, so last year we got a wheat grinder for Christmas and this year we got a basic starter kit that had some wheat, so I decided to grind some up and make flour and try out some recipes. I made these cookies this morning and they were delicious, Logan even ate them. Because for me, what's the point in storing all that wheat if I have no idea what to do with it. :) Alright, so on with the recipe:

1 1/2 cups wheat flour (or all-purpose)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening (I used the Butter flavored Crisco)
1 egg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used about 3 medium)
1 3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 capful vanilla extract (I don't know, maybe 1/4 tsp-ish - I just added this in on my own to counter balance the wheat flavor, so you might not want to use it if you use white flour)

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the shortening until almost no lumps remain (I just used a big spoon to mix it). Add egg, bananas, and vanilla. Mix well (I used the mixer for a minute or so). Stir in the oats until mixed well. Drop by teaspoonful 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are browned (I think it cooks faster with the wheat flour, I only had to bake them for about 10 minutes). Remove from pans immediately to cool on wire rack.

4. Eat, Enjoy, Repeat! :)

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies and the are delicious.

2 comments:

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

I love cookies, I might have to try these. You can get those leashes at WalMart for $10.

Kristen said...

Way to go with the wheat! I'd been meaning to do a post on my wheat adventures for a while, and your entry inspired me! (Coincidentally, a friend of ours from our ward also tried out her wheat grinder this week.)