Sunday, September 11, 2011

Wasatch Mountain State Park

We went camping this weekend and we had a blast. Of course we forgot the camera, but the boys had a good time. Morgan was at work all day, so I had to do all the packing. We made a trip to the store before and during preschool time to get everything that we needed. After we picked up Logan from preschool we ate lunch and got Tragon down for a nap so I could pack.

I think I did pretty well. I got everything to fit in the van nicely. I even climbed on top of the car with my pregnant self to tie down the mattress pads. Once I got up there though, I wasn't sure how to get down. You can still see my slide mark as I slid down the back on my stomach/side until I could reach the bumper, my fingers were a little burned because the rack of the car was so hot, but it was secure. My dad would be proud. :)

We picked Morgan up from work and headed to the canyon. It was a pretty good drive. Logan was a big helper and kept Tragon happy and laughing when he was getting fussy. When we got to the campsite the boys were so eager to help unload, they were awesome. I really had a great time camping this time around. We got camp all set up and had hamburgers and hotdogs for dinner. We still had some light left so we went for a little nature hike and found a little river that we kept walking by and across, the boys loved it.

That night we all sat by the fire and the boys did really great staying away and we did some smores and marshmallows. We saw a huge bug in the fire pit that I can't quite name, it had a rear end that looked like a bee, almost cartoonish, it was at least 2-3 inches long, but I'm not sure if it was a spider or an insect. I'm still trying to find a picture. Anyway, it helped us start our fire, but I still had dreams that it snuck in our tent and ate us.

Finally it was time for bed, the boys snuggled in and they all slept pretty well. We thought it would be colder than it was so we had tons of blankets, but it was plenty warm, at least for Logan and Damon, Tragon kept flinging off his covers and getting cold until finally he realized it was making him warmer. Logan pretty much ended up in my sleeping bag with me, but that was actually safer for Tragon. :)

The next morning we woke up and ate breakfast then went on another nature hike. We went back to the river bridge and let the boys play. They loved scrambling over the rocks and through the little stream. It was so neat to watch them having fun and exploring. It made me want to go camping a lot more. We cam back and went down to the Visitors Center and found a couple playgrounds that we played on for a while, then headed back to camp for lunch and to pack up. It took a while longer to pack up, but we made it home.

It was such a fun trip and I'm looking forward to it more next year...although, we are really running out of space in our van to fit everything, this was the first time I've ever really wanted a truck. Next year we'll probably have to take both our cars, just to haul everything up. You really need a whole lot of stuff when you have little kids and babies. We'll see, but man those car seats sure complicate things, I love and hate 'em at the same time. Until next time...

2 comments:

heidijogoody said...

sounds like a really fun adventure but you really need to quit forgetting the camera ;)

Sandra said...

I like Wasatch Park for little kids camping. It's close enough to Heber that you can go down to playgrounds and stuff but it's not so close that you don't feel like your camping. Too bad you guys aren't coming to Goblin in October. You should come and leave Morgan home. There'd be plenty of people to help with kids. Apparently, everyone is going but you guys. Including Dave and Jamie. This is a Hadlock first.