Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Potty Training Damon-Week 1

Potty Training Day 1 (Sept. 5): The day we got back from Casper....not a good day to start and Morgan even warned me. After cleaning up about 7 messes in about an hour I threw in the towel for the day and hopefully got all my grumpies out before family arrived.

Day 2: Cousins and family were still here, so the morning was a little crazy. Two accidents after trying just about every five minutes. Later, we finally had a huge success, granted he's been sitting on the potty for almost an hour watching a movie and eating a snack, but it was the small step that we needed to continue. I'm not going to give up as easy with him, I'm determined to have him potty trained by the end of the month. (I hope I'm not eating those words later) Final Tally: 2 out of 7 made it in the potty.

Day3: Damon woke up pretty early and seemed to be dry so I got up to get him on the potty, a little too late, he'd already gone in the diaper...that was about 6:15am. All day I tried to get him to go again and pestered him about getting on the potty and he fought me. He stayed dry when we took Logan to preschool at 9:30am and then I went on a walk with a neighbor and got home at 11:00am and he came in and went potty. He must have a bladder of steel and really needs to fill it up to be able to go. I'm going to try and back off a little more today and let him decide if he needs to go. Except that about 15 minutes after the first pee, he had a poo accident. :( We tried and tried after dinner and during bathtime and finally after bath he went. I've noticed that he actually has a potty dance though. Logan never did. Maybe that will help. Overall, better than yesterday, but still frustrating. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Final Tally: 2 out of 5 made it on the potty.

Day 4: So far so good. We made it to the afternoon with a 3 out of 3 record. He was able to stop long enough to get on the potty and only barely got his undies wet, so I count that as a success! And the other two times he went when I didn't even ask him about it. Hooray! Only one small accident in the afternoon, not bad at all and then 2 more times after that. Final Tally: 5 out of 6 I think he's getting it. :) We still haven't had a poop on the potty yet though. Hopefully we'll get that taken care of soon.

Day 5: It's only 7:00am and we are 2 for 2. He's doing such a good job. I'm so proud of him. I wish that I would have maybe given us another week to settle in so I wouldn't have been so grumpy when we started, but what's done is done and he's doing awesome. I'm hoping the next week will be more of the same. We are going camping tonight, so we'll see if we can get him to pee in the woods and not be afraid of standing up, because it sure would be nice to have him going on the big potty instead of cleaning the little potty every time. :) Two more great pee success, two failed poo messes. :( We have yet to make a poo in the potty. But we have been 100% on the pee, which happens more frequently, so I guess that's pretty good. Hopefully next week our travels, eating habits and everything else will become a little more regular and then I'll be able to help more with the poo, but he just doesn't show any signs and then suddenly he's poopy.

Day 6: Camping and having a blast. He used the potty a couple times, but after the first poo accident we decided to just keep a diaper on. Even with a diaper he asks to go pee now. He wouldn't go standing up, but we'll get there. I think we're pretty much good on the pee training, now we just have to figure out how to get him on the potty for poo in time. That will be our goal this next week!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Yeah, we're having the same problem with Aunika and pooping in the toilet. I don't do the little potty at all. I just put the seat on the big toilet. But, she's peed trained, we're still working on pooping and I''m suddenly realizing how lucky I was that Josh trained himself.

heidijogoody said...

Sounds like you are having some success that is great and good luck on the poo side of it, hopefully he will catch onto that real soon too, that is the worst to clean up!