Friday, February 27, 2009

Food for Thought Friday

So I made another batch of whole wheat tortillas...well technically this was my third time, but I think I've finally got it down now. Now my goal is to try and roll them out in as perfect a circle as possible. The other route is finding a nice circle shaped object big enough to just cut out a circle, only for aesthetic reasons of course if I were giving them to someone else, they still taste delicious no matter their shape and even Logan loves to eat them freshly made.


Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
5 cups flour ( I use all wheat, but you can mix white/wheat to what you like)
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening or olive oil (I use olive oil)
2 cups boiling water


In large bowl mix flour & salt. Rub in shortening/oil by hand until texture is like oatmeal. Make well in center and pour in boiling water. Mix with a fork until evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with flour and knead until dough doesn't stick to fingers. (Be careful, dough will still be quite warm) Dough should be smooth. Make balls about size of golf balls. Place on tray and cover with a cloth. Let stand for at least an hour or up to eight. Heat griddle or frying pan over high heat. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to desired thickness. Place on griddle and cook until it bubbles, then flip for about 15 seconds or until done.

Refrigerate or Freeze Tortillas, makes about 18 or so depending on size. We love to use them for burritos, quesadillas, or cinnamon roll-ups (just warm it up--enough to melt butter--and spread a little butter then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and roll it up like a burrito, perfect little snack or dessert.) I don't think I've bought tortillas from the store since I started making them, they just don't taste as good. :) Good luck!

No comments: