Friday, February 6, 2009

Food for Thought Friday

Banana Bread

So, I've tried lots of different banana breads and recipes lately because for some reason it just seems like we hit the last 3 bananas and decided we don't want to eat them anymore...that and we all prefer them not so ripe...anyway, through all my experimenting nothing comes close to my mom's banana bread recipe, so here it is:

1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (I usually use about 3 medium bananas)
2 eggs, well beaten (I'm sure you could substitute the powdered eggs here too)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour (keep it all-purpose white flour..I know, the thought of that just seems weird to me now)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk (I think this is the key to the deliciousness, but if you're like me and don't normally have buttermilk on hand, use 1 tsp vinegar in milk and let it sit for a few minutes and that's just as good)
3/4 tsp salt

Cream butter & sugar. Add bananas, eggs, vanilla. Add flour, soda, buttermilk. Alternate between buttermilk and flour mixtures while adding.

Bake at 325 for 1 hour 15 minutes, check after an hour or so.

Makes one large loaf or two smaller loaves. I hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

mmmm...I love banana bread, and we have the same problem. I have like 5 bananas is our freezer right now.

Kate said...

This sounds good! We made the wheat pizza the other night, and it was way yummy, we definitely plan to make it again! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tosha G said...

love banana bread definately going to have to give this a try. Sorry to confuse you on my recipe. I just dump some milk from the fridge in the cream of chicken can so I don't have to dirty a measuring cup.when I wrote it i forgot about "can" milk!