Friday, February 13, 2009

Food for Thought Friday



Yay for beans! So, last night I tried a new bean recipe along with another wheat recipe that has been on the list. I did cheat on the beans though and used canned beans because by the time I had decided on that recipe it was too late to fix up the dry beans. Anyway, here it is. Morgan even gave both recipes 5 stars! and said it was one of his favorite dinners now. :) (That totally made my day by the way)

White Chili Soup (CROCKPOT)

3 cans kidney,pinto, or white beans (I used a can of northern white beans, a can of pinto and a can of black-eyed peas)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cans chicken (or 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast chopped up)
2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup dry onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup red/green bell peppers (I used dehydrated peppers)
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp chili powder
*Shredded Cheese & Tortilla Chips*

In crockpot combine all ingredients and stir together (except cheese/chips) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Great in bread bowls, or with cheese and tortilla chips.

We had them in bread bowls from the following recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread Bowls
**Note: I actually halved the recipe and it still worked great and it made 4 bread bowls
2 (.25 oz) pkg active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup warm water
2 eggs (I used the food storage egg powder)
1 cup warm milk
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening ( I actually used olive oil instead and they still turned out great)
6 cups flour (combo wheat/white)...I used about 1 1/2 cups white flour was all and the rest was wheat

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar and eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic ~6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise until doubled, punch down. Divide into 8 pieces, shape into ball. Grease
2 cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. ( I just sprinkled with a little flour since I don't have any cornmeal on hand yet) Place 4 balls 3 inches apart onto each prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Then cut out top and fill with chili, soup, or chowder.

I hope you enjoy! :)

1 comment:

heidijogoody said...

I swear look at you go you are amazing me! Hey I need you to email me your address so I can send you that info on the book exchange!