Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oklahoma Adventures Week 41

May 11th - May 18th

This week has been....what's the word for it, chaotic, stressful, overwhelming, to say the least, a CHALLENGE! This is one of the rare moments this week that Logan wasn't fussing over something. :)
For the most part Logan is always very happy and makes us smile all the time, but this week was rough, I ended up having to work more because of things going on at work, and Morgan worked all this week since he didn't have any classes. (I have to brag here a little bit, my smarty pants of a husband got an A in his Physics class that he thought he was going to fail...and apparently according to everyone in that Physics program you have to do really really well to get an A. So, YAY for Morgan-that class was a big stresser and worked really hard for it.)

Anyway, so because I had to work more, Logan spent more time playing by himself since he doesn't take as many or as long of naps anymore and "emergency" phone conferences aren't something I can just put off and do later when daddy gets home. Sometimes his toys will keep him occupied for a while, like his ducks.
But for the most part during the day, he just wants mommy and as soon as he sees me go into the office or get on my computer, he has a total meltdown - and it's melting my heart! I feel wo terrible with him looking up at me with those big tears in his eyes, and me not knowing what to do. I walk around with him while I talk, but sometimes even that won't make him happy. Usually, I only work when he's napping or early in the morning before he's awake or when Morgan is still home to play with him. I felt like such a terrible mom this week because I think the TV spent more time with him during the day this past week than I did. :( He's really good and enjoys his Letter Factory Video during snack time, but it only last for 35 minutes, so when that's over he wants to play. He's also at that clingy stage where he wants to be held all the time, but when you hold him, all he wants to do is get down or have you take him here or there or go outside. (1 year olds are really hard on a pregnant woman's back :) We're also at that awkward stage where he knows what he wants, but hasn't quite figured out how to tell us other than pointing and crying until we figure it out. We're trying to work on sign language or some form of communication, but the patience hasn't been there this week. It's been quite exhausting and it doesn't help that I'm pregnant and tired, and stressed from work as well. My patience has been hanging on a thread, I'm sure all of you moms out there know exactly what I'm talking about - but seeing all those great moms out there does give me hope that I will survive and overcome. Especially when I catch one of these big smiles from Logan during the day.
Then I know that he is okay and will forgive us of our shortcomings and for not being perfect all the time. If only we could all be like little children and forgive and forget so easily. I don't know what I would do without my boys in my life, and as hard as it has been this past week I still can't wait to welcome another one into our lives. Those trying moments make the special ones so much more meaningful. And Morgan sure has been a trooper putting up with such a tightly wound preggo wife this week.

So, we're headed to St. George this week on Wednesday for a Family Reunion and we'll be there for a week and I can't tell you how excited I am to leave work and stress behind and rejuvenate myself and re-focus on what's most important and making my home and family happy. You know the phrase, when momma ain't happy, nobody's happy....I think that is really true, I think Logan has been especially whiny this week because of my own temperament, so I'm really looking forward to that re-adjustment and being able to bring peace and happiness into the home again. I've realized how important it really is to keep your home free of anger, impatience, stress, and unnecessary worrying, and all the other negative forces I have succumbed to this week. It's amazing the things we learn from our children and being a parent!


And for an explanation of this last picture, on top of everything else, our home is being invaded by killer ants (not really killer ants, but they give me the heeby jeebies, I'm allergic to them, and not really invaded, nothing a can of RAID can't cure, but still, where's the drama in that?). We caught them starting to come in the kitchen so we attacked them with Raid and haven't had any problems since-and we now make sure we sweep and mop real good every night to get all the crumbs from Logan. This however was attack of the ants in the office. Being pregnant requires that I eat frequent snacks and I usually have time to do this when Logan is napping and I'm working, thus in the office. I decided to indulge in a small bowl of ice cream one hot afternoon. I forgot to take the bowl in the kitchen, but didn't think anything of it. I didn't remember it until 3-4 hours later when Morgan and I were going to watch a movie and I wanted some more ice cream, I went in to get the bowl and it was covered in ants. They had come in through a crack somewhere in the wall or window, made their way up my computer cords and onto the desk into the bowl. I freaked out, covered my mouth and basically unloaded and entire can of RAID on them. (So, far I haven't noticed any damage to my computer or the electronics that were around.)

We let the room air out for a little while and made sure me and Logan stayed out of there, then later that night when Logan when to bed, Morgan helped me deep clean the office and make sure I hadn't left any crumbs anywhere else. It's been a couple days now and only an occasional ant will show up and I smash it with great pleasure (sorry to all you ant lovers out there-this was a great way to relieve some stress :)

So, all in all, I hope this wasn't a depressing entry. This is the story of our lives and our adventures and what an adventure this week was! I just know there are other mothers out there who I'm sure have had weeks like mine or worse...and we will survive! We are women, we are MOTHERS! And it really is all worth it. :) ..till next time..in sunny St. George.

9 comments:

Robyn said...

Way to go making it through a tough week Annie! What a woman, seriously.

I can relate to the ants, we had a serious problem when we first moved to Ca, they were in all our food, our dishwasher, all over our stove, it didn't matter how hard I tried, they would find something to eat or somewhere to get it. It was crazy. I hope your experience is over!

Thanks for sharing about Logan's feet. After all the other comments I was starting to think Lincoln was the only one.

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

We had a problem with ants last month, but we are lucky enough to have people to take care of it for us. I have noticed that Donovan gets pretty whiny and grumpy when I can't spend as much time with him, like this week when I wasn't feeling well, he seemed to want me a lot more than usual. I hope your next week is easy! I know the last half will be better!!

Mike and Quel said...

Um yeah Annie, don't feel bad about the tv thing. Linc is 4 months old and that's mom's time to clean and do whatever. I love the invention of tv! I'm sure they'll both grow up just fine:)

Lisa said...

Hang in there, Annie! I can tell you that Oklahoma does have a lot of bugs, but it will pass. That is one good think about the ice storms- supposedly, the more ice/snow we get, the fewer bugs the next summer. Not sure if that's true, but maybe? Anyway, say hi to sunny St. G for me! I miss it!

heidijogoody said...

I know your pain. The girls hate it if I ever try to get on the computer or talk on the phone when they are awake. But sometimes we've gotta do what we need to and it is good for them to learn to be independant and play on their own. My gils like the letter factory show too and when they were at Logan's same stage they watched baby signing time every day and they actually caught on really fast and that helped with the communication thing. You can find the baby signing time shows on target.com Good luck and see you this weekend.

Tosha G said...

Just wait until he learns to turn the computer off. As soon as I get on the computer Kelsie will turn the power strip off and then start laughing. We're excited to see you this week.

Dina said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know that we have officially started our blog. It is
josh-n-dina.blogspot.com. love reading your blog! Hope this week is better! I totally know about the ant issue!

Jason and Joanna said...

Annie! I found your blog through Jolene's... it's good to hear things are going good for you (except this week of course). I'm sorry to hear you had such a crappy week. I hope you have a fun and relaxing vacation in good 'ol St. George!

cerrah said...

Hey, you may not even remember me but I blogged hopped to you from Jessica's blog and I have to comment because I tottally relate. I work at home too, and sometimes it's really hard to overcome the guilt of a kid holding onto the arm of your computer chair screaming up at you and knowing that you can't give him the attention he needs. I'm really grateful to work from home, but sometimes it's really hard. It was just nice to see someone else has had the same experiences... and I'm afraid that I've just accepted that the TV is going to babysit sometimes, because sometimes that's the only way to survive. Good luck, I hope he'll be happier for you this week. (: