Monday, March 10, 2014

First Broken Bone

I'm actually quite impressed that we have made it over 6 years with 4 wild boys and no broken bones, but alas, we cannot claim that anymore.  Logan was the first to break a bone.

 It was a beautiful February day.  Logan was at school.  Jaron was down for his nap and Tragon and Damon had been fighting like dragons all morning, so I finally made them sit by me while I read.  I set the timer for 30 minutes and told them they could go play when the timer went off.  5 minutes to go and both were dead asleep.  YES!  This never happens.  A completely quiet house.  Awesome....until my phone rings and it's Logan's elementary school.

He fell off the monkey bars and hurt his arm.  I scrambled around to find someone to come over with my boys, now way was I going to wake them all up.  Especially if Logan was hurt really bad and needed to got to Instacare or something.

Finally got the boys taken care of and went to get Logan.  As soon as I saw him, I knew it was pretty bad.  He was a greenish gray color and looked like he was in a lot of pain.  I gave him some medicine and took him to the instacare for some x-rays.  He broke his wrist pretty bad.  Nothing moved, so they didn't have to set it.  They put him in a temporary splint until his swelling went down and they could cast it.
 He was very brave and did great with the x-rays.  After several days he got his cast on.  He was so excited to pick a cool green color.  :)  While they were putting the cast on, he almost past out.  He takes to pain like his mama.  He got a little greenish again and the nurses that put the cast on were a little worried.  I had Jaron with me this time, which turned out nice because I had the stroller, so the nurse walked Logan in the stroller down to the car and I carried Jaron.
He's been doing great and he gets his cast off the end of the month.  What a trooper.  Good thing it was his left wrist though, so it hasn't really interrupted school all that much except for the missed days.  He's even back to riding his bike and scooter and playing in the dirt (thank goodness for waterproof casts).  Until next time....which will probably be in about 5 minutes.  :)

No comments: