Friday, April 13, 2012

Logan is 5!

I can't believe my first baby is 5 years old now and will be starting Kindergarten this year. He has grown so much in the last year. I think we started a new tradition this year. I asked Logan if he wanted a special hat to wear because it was his birthday and he chose a pirate hat. So, I made him a pirate hat. Of course he had to have an eye-patch too.
"Arrggh, matey" I'm not sure what brought on the pirate theme again, but for the last little while, he's been into pirates. Some of my favorite things about Logan right now are:

-his willingness to help (at least when he's in the mood) I have been able to have him do more chores around the house and he has been surprisingly helpful.

-his conversations at the table. Whenever we are eating, he inevitably will be the slowest eater and be there the longest, mainly due to the fact that he just can't stop telling us these crazy stories of all the cool things he has had dreams about or what they were playing earlier. He comes up with the most random things too, I love it. I need to write down more of it so we can remember better. Although this does drag meal time out longer than intended, I'm getting a little better at being patient with it because I really hope that he never loses his interest in talking to us.

-reading with him, he is getting to be such a good reader and he loves books. We spend a good 30 minutes a day at least just reading books. Most of the time he has the patience to figure things out on his own, but he still likes us to read the stories to him first. He has an excellent memory and I know that will help him in school. It's really fun to see him reading to Damon or Tragon, or even Jaron sometimes. It really helps out when I'm trying to make breakfast and they want me to read stories at the same time. I know he's going to love school and I'm really excited for him to start in the fall.

-his silliness, sometimes I can get really frustrated when he's just being silly, but most of the time it really makes me laugh and smile at all the random stuff that he thinks is funny.

Logan has a lot of spirit in him and we're still working on controlling his anger, but he really is a neat kid and I'm so glad that I get to help raise him. I hope that someday he'll be able to take all his talents and be able to use them to serve others. We love you Logan and you are the best big brother that Damon, Tragon, and Jaron could ever wish for.

2 comments:

heidijogoody said...

he sounds like such a good boy. happy birthday to logan

Kristen said...

I can't believe how old our kids are getting! Miles has been asking to play with Logan, Damon, and Tragon. I'll have to give you a call and see if we can fit a play date in before Baby 3 is due.