Sunday, September 9, 2007

Oklahoma Week 5

September 2nd-September 8th


When the kitchen is done....oh, we'll get to that--when the kitchen is done....I'm beginning to loathe the very phrase. Sad to say the kitchen is not yet complete, but there is light shining through at the end of the tunnel. We were able to get the cabinets in, countertops on, and get the sink installed and working (yay, no more buying water). And we even got the tile done. Alas, my naivity and optimism was at an all time high last week when I thought, yeah, one day for cabinets, a day for countertops, a day for tile and a day to move everything in, woohoo, I'll be cooking spaghetti by the end of the week......yeah, what a riot! Little did I know how many little things have to be taken care of along the way. For example, we were all set to put the countertops on and as we tried to open one of the drawers the overhang of the counter laughed in our faces..."you silly ignorant fools, you need a build-up kit...muwahahahaha." (That's the last time we'll be buying talking countertops, it's very distracting when Morgan's trying to study) My feet are firmly planted on solid ground now. It also didn't help that our "contractor/mentor" stepped on a nail at another job and that put us back at least a day on the cabinet installation. Through all the turmoil, we are learning some very great lessons in patience and gratitude. I will be so THANKFUL to cook again; who would have thought the girl who always said she would marry a chef so she didn't have to cook would be begging to be able to use her kitchen. So, here are some very happy pictures of our progress:






This picture just proves how naive we were. We figured it would be just as easy to mix all the versabond in our bucket by hand as it would to have a power mixer.... the only thing we could find was an old broom, how redneck is that! Needless to say, about 5 minutes into mixing we called up Brother Gipson and he hurried over with his power mixer attachment.



Finally the tiling was complete, at least getting it all laid down. We'll do the grouting next Monday as we'll definitely be taking a break from our labors this Sunday. :)


Speaking of Sunday, Morgan got to teach today, his lesson was the law of chastity, he ran out of time at the end due to some extended life experiences from some of the men, but it still went alright. I'm just glad I didn't have to teach that lesson. I just get to play piano "unofficially" in relief society. I've been practicing a lot more, I've got a goal to learn all the hymns by the end of the year. That might be a little lofty, but I'm hoping that I'll know more than I think I do as I start practicing. I started with ten last week and then as I learn them I replace them with another song I don't know. I'm even starting to teach Logan.



Morgan's schooling is continuing to progress although it too has fallen into the ...when the kitchen is finished...category. He'll be glad when it's all done and he can really get some studying done and not feel like he's always cramming just before class starts. Even with all the hustle and bustle of the kitchen and school and my work, we still find some time to be together. Morgan and Logan are going to learn guitar together...I wonder what will happen when he realizes it's just a remote control--he's trying so hard to get the right chord.



Logan's favorite game now is being tossed in the air or flying back and forth from mommy to daddy (don't tell grandma) He's teething now, so anything we can do to make him happy we'll try. He's still very calm and mellow, but can be a little fussy now and then, so he takes to the air.





Logan is just so cute we just love putting pictures of him in our blog:




We hope you are all doing well and this blog finds you in good spirits. And when you have a bad day, just remember: Don't worry, be happy. Besides, how can you not smile when you see a face like that.