Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tanner Flat Camping Trial #2 before Yellowstone

I forgot the camera...I hate it when that happens, although at this point, it's pretty tough to get any pictures anyway since I'm always chasing around a little boy or holding my baby.  :)

We went camping up at Tanner Flat a couple weekends ago and it was really fun.  We were only able to go up one night, but I think that was just right for Jaron.  He loved being outside and loved being held, but when it came to sleeping, he does not like to sleep on/near/by/close to anyone.  It was quite the challenge sharing a cot with him (another not so great idea).  In the end I put him in the carseat for about half the night and he did fine, but I was still up all night worrying about him.  :)

We had a cousin pirate birthday party, we made fun pizzas, sat by the fire, got to hang out and visit and explore.  The boys had a blast!!!  We went up with the Hadlocks and our kids are basically the youngest of the group and so most of the older cousins kept watch on the little ones.  (Audrey is Damon's favorite right now because she carried him across the little stream to get to the rock.)  It was really nice to let them basically just wander and explore.  I tried to keep an eye on Tragon, but even he got away from me a couple times.

And of course, no matter when the kids go to bed, they are up and ready to go sometimes before the sun.  We were the first ones up, I tried to keep the kids quiet as long as we could, but I think we had everything packed up and ready to go (we were going to go on a hike...didn't pan out) by the time everyone else was waking up.

We've done a couple "camping" tests in preparation for a 3 nighter at Yellowstone coming up over Labor Day.  We tried two separate tents so they could pack smaller....bad idea.  We tried cots...bad idea, it's much easier to get to the boys if they need something when we're closer to the same level.  Sharing a sleeping bag/cot with the baby...bad idea.  Now though, I think we've got a pretty good idea how to make things work and we're looking forward to a fun vacation trip.

So now I'm on the hunt for a smaller travel camping bed for Jaron so he's not rolling around all over the tent, because boy does he move around a lot in his sleep.  :)  Other than that, I think we're good to go, and after all that, we found out we'll have a cabin available too.  We might do at least a one night trade and let the older boys camp in a tent, but as for me and my baby, we'll be nice and warm inside.  I can't wait, camping and "trips" are actually starting to be more fun with our boys getting a little older.


No comments: