Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tragon Zechariah has arrived...

...weighing in at a whopping 7 lbs 12 oz. So far, he's been the biggest baby...well, only by an ounce, but still. I'll post the pictures first and then the story after.Welcome to the world Tragon!
His hair does look curly, but it's deceiving, as soon as it dries, it's nice and straight, just like the rest of my boys...maybe if I have a girl, the curls will stay. :)



Mommy and Tragon with the eye drops that he was not very fond of.

He's a really good sleeper...when you hold him. He's actually a really peaceful and calming baby.
This was after his first bath, his hair is still so soft and fluffy.
Getting ready to go home. He did really well in the carseat.
Daddy and Tragon. Aren't they so cute!
Damon has been handling things really well and has loved his little brother.
I think it's really helped the transition that Grandma has been here to give him some extra attention too. :)
Damon's foot on the left, Tragon's foot on the right....and I thought Damon was still so small and still my baby, but not anymore I guess. I'm positive that he grew at least 2 feet and gained at least 30 lbs while I was in the hospital.
Logan thought it was really neat to hold the baby, he wanted to carry Tragon to me, but when he tried to lift him up, he sighed and said, he's so heavy.
Mommy and Tray relaxing.
He loves to snuggle and so far hasn't required a lot of bouncing or walking around, he likes to just be still and sleeps most peacefully when it's noisy, good thing for him, he was born into a noisy home :)
Mommy and Logan cuddling.

So, for the birthing story so I don't forget, and just because it was quite at fun?...interesting?...unique?....story.

We woke up early on the 19th and called into the hospital and they said come right up we have a bed for you. I was so happy, I was worrying the night before that it was going to be really busy and we'd have to wait for him to come another day.

We got things started, I needed to have some antibiotics in my system for about 4 hours, so things started off pretty slow since I was already dilated to a 4. After a couple hours, they started the pitocin. I had a really long really hard contraction that was lasting longer than 3 minutes...usually they are anywhere from about 30 seconds to a minute for the real intense part. Anyway, I could tell something was wrong after about 2 minutes and had Morgan go get the nurse who had stepped out to grab more antibiotics. The baby's heart rate was starting to get really low and I was getting worried. Another nurse came in and they rolled me onto my side and had to give me a shot of something that would counter balance the pitocin so my contraction would stop. They gave me a little oxygen and at this point I think Morgan was really worried and feeling a little helpless, somehow through it all though, I still felt calm and that everything was going to be okay.

After things settled down, the baby's heart rate went back up and stabilized and I was okay, but they decided to wait for a couple hours before starting the pitocin again to let me and the baby rest. A couple hours later we decided to break my water and see if my contractions would regulate themselves. The dr. came in to break my water and the baby had moved and turned sideways...that little stinker. So, now we had a couple options. We could turn the baby manually, which I've heard is really painful, or elect to have a C-section (not an option), or go home and see if the baby would get head down on his own again. We talked to the dr. on the phone and we wanted to try and turn him since that little stinker had been head down and ready for the past 6 weeks of dr. appointments. While we were waiting for him to get there I was up walking around pushing on my tummy and harassing the baby trying to get him to turn. I even did a little jig in the hospital room (oh to be a fly on the wall that day). By the time the dr got there, he was almost back to head down position.

The dr. didn't have to do much to get his head down and just as he reached over to grab the water-breaking hook thing, the baby moved again...oiy! So, the nurse had to push on my stomach to keep the baby down and the dr. broke my water. We knew there would be some risks, if the umbilical cord were to slip down before the head, we'd have to do an emergency C-section, or if a hand or something other than head got down there first, it would be a C-section and once we broke the water, there was no turning back...at this point we still could since I hadn't gotten the epidural yet.

We felt good about going ahead. We broke my water and the dr was trying to let as much water out as possible so the head would stay in place...that's when we found out why my baby was so bouncy and squirmy, he had a LOT of water to swim in. After we had soaked up about 5 towels, the water starting spilling of the table on the floor, Morgan was helping mop it up. Even the dr. was surprised by how much water was coming out (don't worry, nothing was wrong with the baby or me, it just sometimes happens). Well, after I was drained, the head was there, but so was a hand...we had a little time to see if he would move his hand, but if it started coming out on top of the head, we'd have to do a C-section.

So we waited and prayed and waited and prayed and after about and hour the nurse came in to check me and the hand was gone, now it was just head. Whew, what an answer to our prayers! We got the pitocin going a little more and really started to kick things into gear now. I got my epidural and after that Morgan was so much more relaxed...he did all the worrying this labor. :) For the next few hours, it was just kind of boring. We were really hoping that we would have the baby by 7:00pm so our nurse would get a chance to see him after everything we had been through all morning and day, but at 6:15 when I was still stuck at about a 6 after 3 checks, it wasn't looking very hopeful.

I was rolling over to my other side to even out the epidural and they had to adjust the heart monitors on the baby, so the nurse came back in, it was about 6:30 and that's when I felt like the baby was on his way out with or without the dr. She checked my and I was ready to go. We called the dr. and he hurried over. Tragon was out in 1 1/2 pushes (I think the most I ever had to push was like 10 minutes and 3-4 times with Logan). He was born at 6:55pm and was perfect and beautiful. So far this has been the best recovery. I only tore just a tiny bit I think the dr. said like 2-3 stitches was all.

At one point I did ask myself, was it really the right thing to do to induce early, and is that why we're having these complications and should we just walk away and come another day? But I really felt/feel that it was the right time for him to come and even if we had waited a week for his "official" due date we would probably have still had the same thing happen as far as him being able to float around in the water so much. I think because of our little scare in the morning though that the dr. and nurse were a little more aware and cautious and that we were able to be prepared and possibly prevent a C-section with the whole crazy water thing, but who really knows, eh? I guess that's what faith is all about.

I spent the next couple days in the hospital just staring at that miracle and so full of gratitude of the whole process and responsibility of bringing life into this world. I think Morgan and I both have a renewed sense of faith in prayers and that they truly are answered and the power of the priesthood. We are both in awe at how much the Lord loves us. We had to put ourselves in His hands and have faith that things will turn out okay. Our prayers were answered in so many ways that day. What a miracle and what an extension of Heaven we now have in our home. I love my three little boys so much!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations! I'm sorry there were so many near complications, but I'm glad that everything turned out okay in the end.
You're really lucky to not have to push much. I had to puch for over two hours with Parker and I was ready for them to rip me open just so I could be done. Luckily, they didn't have to.
Anyway, Tragon is such a handsome baby! I hope that everything goes well with the transition to three!

Lindsey said...

You guys sound like you had quite the day! I'm so glad that he is here safe and sound and that you didn't need a C-section. I'm sure they aren't as bad as they seem, but having one is one of my big fears!
Congrats on your new baby!!

heidijogoody said...

Congrats to you guys.. sounds like a bit of an experience for the labor. I am glad he made it here safe and sound. He is a handsome guy.

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

CONGRATS! I hope you got my text. 7 lbs 12 oz is nothing...try 8 lbs 3 oz! Ha, I hope the next one isn't quite that big... He is so cute, I love how all of your kids have their own unique look. I'm used to Brad's family where all the siblings look the same!

Adams Family said...

Oh yeah, how about 8.13 lbs? True but I’m only kidding ;-)

I think labor and birth is tiresome no matter how big or little the babies are!

But a super cool thing about our #3 baby is like yours….he was our 2 push baby! One for the head and One for the rest! So much better than the 45min kid and especially the 2 hour baby!

We are so happy for you and are excited to see the pictures of the Beautiful new Hadlock baby. He looks so good and his color wonderful. You look great too Annie and I’m not just saying that, you seem to bounce back well after having babies, it’s like you were made for it ;-)

We have been waiting to call you so you guys can get in the groove of things and so we don’t interrupt….but just know all day on the 19th we were thinking about you guys and praying all would go well! We are glad it did.

Love you guys, and Addie says she likes Damon’s car shirt in the pictures!

Jessica said...

Congratulations! He's such a perfect little guy! And what a story getting here! I'm glad everything went well and that he arrived safely!