Friday, January 29, 2010

The Dentist

So this week...yesterday (Thursday) in fact I went to the dentist. Last time I came out of their office I vowed never to go back, was in tears, and seriously was ready to drive all the way to St. George back to my old dentist. I even told the babysitter (my awesome cousin MeChel who came up last minute - you don't know how much that meant to me! Thanks again!) to prepare for a total meltdown when I got home.

I'm not sure why I was even having such a hard time at the dentist, it was really bothering me, but it was almost like having anxiety attacks when I thought about it. And it's not that he was a bad dentist because I don't think that at all, well, maybe it had to do with the fact that the last time I visited it was to yank out a huge tooth in preparation for an implant...dental implant of course. :)

I kept postponing the appointment, but knew I couldn't much longer because I wanted to take advantage of the insurance paying 100% (instead of 50% which is huge on a $2,000 procedure--and that's only for one of the three appointments--yikes) of course, I also wanted to make sure I was in the 2nd trimester when it's safer for all that stuff. Alright, cutting to the point of the story, there are 3 dentists where I go (if you really want to know where, ask me) and I had only seen the one. I saw a different one this time and seriously I was whistling (not really, my face was numb) and happy and totally ready to go back in 4 months for the final appointment of this procedure and no they didn't give me happy gas...couldn't...pregnant.

It was just a world of difference. I can't even really say exactly what it was that was different other than I felt like my dentist (yes my dentist now, I'm totally going back and requesting him again) empathized with how awkward and uncomfortable it really is to have three people's hands in your mouth at the same time, pulling, and drilling, and sucking out your spit and somehow that made me more relaxed. I'm also the type that likes to know how things are going and how far along we are and how much longer it will take and of course a few words of encouragement are also welcome, "you're doing great, hang in there, we're almost done" that sort of thing. (Yes, I do like to be treated like a child at the dentist, it makes me feel better). So, the short and long of it all, I used to hate going to the dentist, but now I don't. :)

No comments: