Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Potty Part 2

So, after the first day of potty training both boys at the same time, I quickly realized that it was too overwhelming and I'd rather change the diapers. Despite all my talk of training Damon so that Logan would follow, it's Logan that is actually getting the attention. It turns out that the only reason he didn't want to "potty train" was that he just doesn't like wearing underwear, in fact he hates it. We're going to get him some toddler boxer briefs or boxers and see if he'll wear those, but for now, it's commando. He's been doing really great. He goes most of the time without me having to remind him. He's had a couple accidents, but I think after yesterday he's got the poo figured out. He pees about every hour, mostly I think to get the treats which are now gone, but also because we're always home so he's never really had to stretch it and hold it much longer than that. He's made it dry through the night at least three times in the last week, but I think we'll still stick to diapers at night.

Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be able to get him to go on the "big" potty, because really, what's the difference between cleaning a potty every hour (which is a whole lot messier) versus changing a diaper....which I only had to do a couple times a day? I really hate cleaning his little potty, but I know that we need to ease into the whole big potty thing and soon he'll be fully potty trained and I won't have to buy nearly as many diapers each month. :)

2 comments:

heidijogoody said...

It sounds like Logan is doing well. I have heard of people putting targets (darn onto toilet paper) into the toilet for their little boys when they are training them. I knew someone who would let their little boy pick the target to "shoot" at each time so it made it a little more fun for him.

Sandra said...

Josh didn't stand up to pee until well after he was potty trained. I wouldn't worry about that stage until Logan is tall enough to stand at the toilet and not pee on the seat. And what about just putting the potty seat on the toilet and getting something for him to stand on to get to the toilet? After Josh went once in the little potty, I was like "Um...no." So we bought him a little stool stand on to reach the toilet to sit down on and that worked wonders.