Monday, April 5, 2010

A Lot More Happened Than I Thought

This is going to be a long post, but there are pictures, and it's for posterity, so hang in there. I guess a lot more has happened according to the pictures on the camera this past couple weeks than I thought, so here goes: I tried another new recipe, which I won't post here for length reasons, but I will tell you, it was delicious. I had a butternut squash laying around trying to figure out what to do with and I came upon this "Squash Braid" (recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com). It was really good bread that just tasted like bread. Logan actually asked for a second piece. If I double the recipe again like I did, I'll make sure to cook them on separate cookie sheets. It was a nice way to score some veggie points with the boys. :)
Oh my boys how I love them and how they are growing so fast.

Damon is super happy, but is quick to throw a little tantrum when he gets frustrated and for some reason whenever I start cooking he gets really really clingy, so I'm working on ways he can help or keep him busy (most of the time it's Toy Story or Cars)

Logan will be 3 years old next week and is getting better at communication although he is still my strong willed and typical 3 year old that tests my patience everyday (you'd think I'd have passed that test by now...) The bruise and scratch on his head all happened the same day with two different events, the bruise was from running into the open van door, right on the edge and the scratch from diving over his bed onto Damon's and catching a corner that scalped him a little. Good thing he's a pretty tough kid.
How to make the most scrumptious burrito. First lay out blanket and place two delicious selections of filling.
Next, start on one end and roll burrito style.
Make sure you don't let any filling fall out.
And then devour! :)

Morgan made a "burrito" with Logan a while back and now when the blanket is on the floor he always wants to be a burrito, this particular Sunday Damon decided to jump in too. They had fun for quite a while with this game. :)
Since I have been more in a cooking/baking mood the boys have been helping me with my messes (making them more than cleaning up though). This day I decided that I wanted some chocolate frosting to go with some graham crackers, but I didn't want to go to the store.
Luckily I had some cocoa on hand and whipped some up. It was delicious. The boys loved licking the beaters. Damon had it everywhere and when I gave him the graham cracker with frosting on it, he licked off all the frosting first and then ate the graham cracker...silly boy.
Logan, my dainty eater of course, there is hardly a smear on him although he licked that beater almost spotless. He had a couple crackers, but it was kind of frustrating to wipe off the chocolate frosting on his hands after every bite, so we went with bite size and less frosting.
For General Conference/Easter Weekend we headed up to Green River to visit my brother. We were really sure all week if it would happen because Morgan was sick and then the weather was crazy, but it turned out to be good weather and Morgan was enough on the mend to make the journey. We picked Morgan up from work and headed out. Logan was being kind of grumpy and in a weird funk, so we stopped in Evanston, WY at a McDonald's to let the kids play in the play place and cheer Logan up.

It was actually a pretty decent play place, only one way in and out and Logan could actually climb up everything. Just as we were getting ready to leave though, we hear Logan at the very top..."Daddy, you have to come rescue me"
So, Morgan had to shimmy through the maze (quite difficult actually) and get him down. Luckily I had the camera in my purse and got proof that Morgan really is just a big kid! :)

This was Logan's happy face now that he was in a better mood.
And of course Damon is always ready to give a smile to the camera.
We made really good time and ended up at Mike and Quel's in pretty good time. The kids had fun pulling out basically every toy available and things were going really great until bedtime. It was really late and the kids were overly tired and poor Logan got homesick...something that's never happened and kept saying "I wanna go home" It was really sweet and annoying at the same time. Sweet because I was really happy to know that he really does know what "home" is and annoying because we were all exhausted and just wanted them to sleep. We took him with us to the grocery store and he fell asleep on the way (Damon and Lincoln had fallen asleep at this point). On the way up the stairs though he woke up, "no, I don't want to go up, I want to go home" Logan is not a very pleasant kid to sleep with and kept kicking us (we just brought him in bed with us). He did finally fall asleep and we moved him into the bedroom with the other boys, but they all woke up way too early for all of us.
They had fun on Saturday playing with all the toys. These buckets were a favorite. Lincoln is under the blue one on top of the pink one, and Logan is under the pink one. They thought that was hilarious...until Logan wanted to get out.

Lincoln and Logan had a lot of fun playing. The boys sometimes look like twins and at a glance I even get them mixed up...especially from the behind.
Peek a Boo was their favorite game, that and spinning.

Where did the boys go??

Here we are!

That afternoon we did a little Easter egg hunt. Logan was having a rough day and was in the playroom waiting for me to hide the eggs and even when he came out was still having a little tantrum, he looks so distraught over this egg and it took him a while to figure out what we were doing.
I think he cried during most of the "hunt" Damon loved it though and a couple times he almost put his eggs in Logan's basket and then realized what he was doing and hurried over to his, it was really cute. They ended up with lots of treats and I think a little of a candy over-load.
We decided that it might be a better drive..and night if we hit the road after the Priesthood session so the kids would just sleep the whole time...which they did. Ahhhhh, it was wonderful. We had some awesome "Cafe Rio" chimichangas that Mike and Quel made, they were super delicious! A lot of effort though, thanks guys! P.S. Don't forget to send the recipe. :) We had a lot of fun despite Logan's constant whining.
On Sunday we had a super relaxing and chill day. During the final 10 minutes of conference, Logan actually fell asleep...I think we all did actually, Damon was already taking his nap though. About 5:00pm I tried to wake Logan up, but he was just totally out no matter how I moved him or anything. So, while I cuddled with Logan, Damon and I played with Mr. Potato head. It's one of his favorite toys right now.
We had a little fun with Logan too. hehehe, he didn't even wake up either.
Damon loves that mustache!

Silly Potato Head

Usually he sticks the glasses on his neck, Morgan helped him out with this one.

This was quite the accomplishment to get him to keep three pieces on long enough for a picture.
One of the things I really took from conference is how important my role as a mother is and how much I need to be an example to my kids and teach them...and be more patient. I've been trying and I know I still have my good days and my bad days. In an effort to involve the kids more in things they have been "helping" me with dinner and cooking and stuff.

We decided on scrambled eggs and breakfast burritos for dinner that night and the kids really wanted to help, but they're not so good about the whole hot stove/pot thing. So I set them up to make their own eggs. I can't believe it worked, but they really stirred and played with those eggs the whole time I made dinner and came back to them after we ate. They played in the water...ahem, I mean washed the dishes after we were done and overall I think they had a lot of fun. And I actually had fun too and realized that when I do actually take the time to find something for them, or to involve them they day really does go so much better and there is lot less (still some...and sometimes a lot) crying and whining and just overall fussiness. So, here's to really being there for my kids and being a better mom! Until next time.....

3 comments:

heidijogoody said...

Oh yes the joys of 2 year old behavior! The girls are almost 4 and I am really hoping that once they hit 4 it will be smoothe sailing! They are still always giving us a run for our money and a test on our patience.

Adams Family said...

So I’m Wondering if it’s like the Café Rios Taco salad that is in the “World Wide Cookbook” I made it once and I tell you Annie it tasted just like the pork you like so much. I added some extra chicken taco seasoning because the pork is just to sweet for me and then it was Perfect! The recipe had all the fixings to go with it, tomatillo sauce and the cilantro lime rice (I think that’s what it is). Any how it did take a lot of work and it was a ton of food for just us and we took it to share with others but this last week I’ve been thinking about that 6lb pork roast that’s in my deep freezer whispering “café Rio, café Rio café Rio…” Scary I know. I’m gonna make it again….This week maybe, or next….but I just want it now darn it!

Mike and Quel said...

It was crazy but sure a lot of fun! I'm so glad you guys were able to make it and Mike got to be home. Happy birthday to Logan tomorrow! I'll give him a call too...