Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home

The last two weeks have been quite hectic to say the least. This will be a pretty boring, but informational (at least to me for my memory's sake) post, with a few okay pictures tossed in to break up the monotony. :) The craziness all started last Saturday. As Nursery Coordinator, I'm in charge of the monthly deep cleaning for the toys. Our wards rotate, so each ward only has to take care of it 4 times a year. Our ward was assigned March. It was too short of notice to get any groups (YM, YW, Scouts) to help out, so I just figured I would do it by myself, I mean, really how long could it take to deep clean two nursery rooms. I was sort of dreading it, and then my counselor in Primary said that she would be able to help, which was a great relief and then that same week, the Nursery Leader from another ward called and said they totally dropped the ball in February and didn't do it and would be more than happy to help or take a room, or whatever I wanted. Me still not realizing the amount of time it takes with few numbers said they could take one room and I would take the other. This really worked out the best because we didn't have to work around a lot of different schedules.

I got there early about 8:30 on Saturday even though I was planning on getting there at 10:00. I got things started and realized I had forgotten the bleach (to soak the toys in). I tried calling Morgan, but he was out keeping the boys entertained, so I called my counselor and she said she would come up early too, thank goodness she did. We were able to finally finish everything up about 11:45. She had warned me before what a big project it was and that it took her and the primary presidency about 6-7 hours to do both rooms....I didn't believe it....now I do! I'm so glad that I already have helped planned for the next three times I have to be in charge of this project. It really could be done in about 1 hour per room with enough people. I was glad to get out of there earlier than I thought though because Morgan would be leaving for about a week on Sunday and I wanted to spend some time as a family before he left.

He had a big review course in Houston for his Dosimetry Exam coming up in June. We took him to the airport early Sunday morning and dropped him off. The kids loved seeing the airplanes and thought it was really cool. We were all ready for church and ended up catching the last 20 minutes of sacrament meeting. It was easier to go than to find a sub for my responsibilities. They actually both sat on either side of me like angels for about 5 minutes, and then I ran out of cheerios!!!! Both of them wanted to get down and run around and so I took Damon out in the hall and Logan followed soon thereafter. Logan did pretty good to be quiet and sit out there with me, but Damon was fighting and wiggling to get down and run around, but my rule is that once they enter nursery, they lose all run around in the hallway during church benefits. We struggled through the last 15 minutes (I have no idea how my mom, or Morgan's mom for that matter did it with 5 kids on their own). Nursery time was sort of a struggle and I ended up going back and forth between nurseries for a while. I was able to catch most of Relief Society which was a good thing, I needed that few moments to prepare me for the rest of the week.

When we got home, I had to go visiting teaching. I didn't realize when I made the appointment that Morgan would already be gone and I thought I had a babysitter, but nope, now I had to take the boys with me, which was fine. Logan did great and didn't want to leave, Damon however was so determined to play with the door that he fell down the stairs, really fell hard. The stairs were right by the door and as he was pulling on it to open it or close it he lost his balance. I jumped up and flew down those stairs faster than I have moved in the last 3 months. He seemed okay so I picked him up. I ended up giving him my keys to calm him down and distract him. I let him down and he immediately proceeded to try and stick my keys in the electrical outlets. Oiy! So, I had to hold a squirmy boy for another few minutes while we wrapped things up.

That's when Logan threw his tantrum about not wanting to go home, so to get him in the car I had to tell him that soon we would be going to Grandma and Big Papa's house (not a lie, we were going up for a birthday party, but not as early as this). We got home and Logan refused to get out of the car, refused to come inside, and then refused to take off his shoes. *sigh* So, we headed up about an hour earlier than planned knowing that my kids would be so delightful after not getting a good nap. I did drive around for a while giving them extra time to sleep, but I didn't have very much gas in the car and was afraid I wouldn't make it home and I really didn't want to buy gas on Sunday. The kids had fun playing with cousins and did really well, no tantrums and we had a great dinner and lots of fun, but I was exhausted by the time we left.

Monday was a beautiful day and made up for any of the past, present, future of my single parent time with the boys. We were able to play outside almost all day long. On Tuesday, I had two visiting teaching appointments, but it was another great day so we got to walk and be outside most of the day. Wednesday I had my Dr. Appointment and then I went to the cannery after to finish up our year supply of oats. Then Thursday, poor Logan had a run in with mean mommy. We were out for a walk and as we walked past a neighbor's house, he snuck in the fence to go on their slide (neighbor's I don't know) I told him to come back and he didn't, then I said come back or we'll go home--and we had just come out. :( He wouldn't listen, so I had to drag/carry two screaming and fighting boys all the way home.

They were a little muddy from and earlier escapade and as I was taking off Damon's shoes to take him inside Logan flipped out and ran off. I tossed (gently placed) Damon inside, shut the door and ran after Logan in all my pregnant glory while telling him to stop and come back. I finally caught up with him and he was laughing!!! That's what got me. How could he not understand how serious of a situation this was?! I grabbed him and set him down on the nearest doorstep and gave him a spanking. (yes, I sort of felt bad after, but not enough that I regret it and really he probably didn't even feel it, but boy did he understand). It was the final straw. I carried him and loved him on the way home as he cried. We had a nice long talk about how he needs to listen to mommy and can't run away from me and that he needs to ask to use other friend's toys. Somewhere along there I must have said "this is not a joke" because the rest of the day I kept hearing, "mom, it's not a joke huh" We stayed in the rest of the day, but I tell you what, everytime we walk by that fence now, it's "I have to ask mommy and no going on the slide" and when he refused that temptation the first time I could have baked him a cake, you would have thought he just won the Nobel Prize for how proud I was. I also had a Stake Nursery Leader Training Meeting that evening which was the same evening Morgan was coming home. (YEAH!) It turned out that the meeting didn't got very long so me and the boys got to pick up Daddy at the airport. Oh how we missed him!!!! but we did survive. Logan and Damon were both so happy to see daddy. The next morning when they saw him they were so hyper, running around the house yelling daddy daddy daddy. It was too good!
Logan likes watching his shows on the computer now, but doesn't like Damon trying to climb up with him. I think in this picture he is telling Damon no and in the process of spitting on him (a habit we are trying to break, along with scratching). The faces were just too crazy not to post. On Friday we got to spend the whole day with Daddy. We did run several errands together as a family, which I love.

The kids even got some quality Play Doh time. Both of them were total Daddy's boys for most of the day and I think a little afraid to let him out of their sights.

It was too cold to play outside, and by the end of the day we needed something else to do. We found some discount tickets for Kangaroo Zoo-a bounce house/slide mecca for the kids and decided to go, since it would only be $6 for the whole family. The kids absolutely loved it and of course I forgot the camera. It was have been a perfect photo op too. We'll have to go again before Logan is 3 and has to pay full price. :) I even got to go on a couple slides with the kids, but don't worry mom, I was careful not to hurt my bulging belly.
Logan was even brave enough and able to climb up most of the toys and ladders himself. I think he really liked being that independent. Damon needed help, but by the end of the night even he was being let down the slides by himself. We stayed for almost a 2 hours, and the kids were getting tired and we were all getting hungry. It just happened that there was a Weinerschnitzel, Panda Express, and Quizno's all by each other. Perfect! Hot Dogs for the kids, Chinese for me (a rarity when pregnant or at all for that matter) and Quizno's for Morgan. Yes, we really did go to three locations and ended up eating all our different food in Quizno's since there wasn't any crowd. It really was the perfect day especially with us all together as a family.
Today (Saturday) we've been focusing on getting our 72 hours kits up to date. Last time we did them was just after we moved to Oklahoma and Logan was so little he didn't really need anything. It was quite a change this time....and most of our stuff was expired after 3 years. We got to play outside a little bit and run around for some errands. It definitely wasn't as jam-packed as yesterday, but it was a still a good day. And to top off all the craziness of the past two weeks, we also get to speak in church tomorrow! I finally finished my talk a little earlier (hence, I'm actually blogging) and Morgan is finishing up his now. All I know is that I could not make it alone and I need my husband and I'm so glad that he is home now and here with us. Logan and Damon love him so much and so do I! Until next time....which hopefully will be before March is over.

2 comments:

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

I have a hard enough time taking care of one child when Bradley is out of town. I can't imagine 2...and being pregnant! I had a mean mommy moment once too. Donovan was having a hard time following directions on an overall bad day and he got spanked. I felt bad too, I haven't done it since.

Adams Family said...

Sorry Annie, I just had to laugh when you said you spanked Logan. I know it's not a funny situation, but it was kind of funny to read. I'm glad I haven't had to chase any of my kids in a "scary situation" like that...knock on wood... Addie and Thomas are to afraid to strangers getting them or cars squishing them (you see the stories I tell) and Samuel...Well he's walking now but would rather sit in the grass...let's hope they all want to stay close!

I'm so glad Cody is out of school now. I tell you it's hard being a "single Mom" and I'm glad I don't have to do it full time. We are all Happier when our Hubbys are home...most of the time ;-)